So you’ve decided to take the plunge and invest in a new kitchen. If you’ve dreamed, saved and planned for months, you won’t want to miss our top kitchen renovation tips to make sure your new kitchen will be the ultimate kitchen of your dreams.
After over 30 years in the bathroom and kitchen renovation industry, Lindsay Williams, regular winner of national design awards and owner of Mint Kitchens Burwood knows a thing or two about designing a stunning kitchen that is also a joy to work in.
Here are Lindsay’s top kitchen renovation tips to consider prior to starting your renovation journey.
KITCHEN RENOVATION TIP 1: CONSIDER WHY YOU ARE RENOVATING
Is it functionality?
Do you need more space to work on the bench? Do you want to have an inviting space to entertain family and friends? Or do you simply need a kitchen with great storage solutions & everything at hand.
Is it style?
Perhaps you would like your kitchen colours, materials and appliances just more suited to your personal style or the style of your home.
Is it value?
Maybe you’re thinking of selling your home sometime in the future and you’d like to add value to your home.
It could be all of the above, but whatever your reasons, it’s important to be clear about your motivation for renovating as it will help your designer plan a kitchen that suits all your requirements.
You’ll need to figure out what you like about your existing kitchen and what exciting new additions and improvements you’d like your new kitchen.
Some great questions to ask yourself are:
- What kind of benchtops do you want?
- Do you need more space or is your existing space enough?
- Would you like a more open plan? Can you remove a wall?
- How often do you entertain or have parties at home?
- How much storage do you need?
- Do you have any special requirements of your kitchen? For example a special place for your small appliances? Soft close doors that are safe for young children?
- Do you have a style or colour preference?
- Does your family eat at the dining table or do they prefer a breakfast bar?
KITCHEN RENOVATION TIP 2: CONSIDER YOUR APPROXIMATE BUDGET
With all the excitement of researching your new kitchen, it’s easy to skip over the costs which can stack up if you’re unprepared. It’s a good idea to start off with a ball park figure as your budget and then speak with a design professional to see if your goals are achieveable within that budget.
Speak with your designer about what areas you can splurge on and where to save money. For example, laminate door finishes are a great alternative to 2 pack paint finishes, they’re more durable, easy to maintain & definitely budget friendly.
A full understanding of what the budget needs to cover will make things clearer. Speak with your renovation company about what is included in the quote.
- A full understanding of what the budget needs to cover will make things clearer. Speak with your renovation company about what is included in the quote.
A checklist may be helpful:
- Design Consultation
- Project Documentation
- Rubbish Removal
- Cabinetry Installation
KITCHEN RENOVATION TIP 3: CHOOSE A PROFESSIONAL
Choosing a renovation professional is likely to be the most important step in kitchen renovation success. An experienced and qualified kitchen designer can help you bring your ideas to life, while advising you of potential pitfalls and mistakes before you make them.
As a new kitchen is likely to be a large investment that will last decades, it’s important that you get the right advice.
Some questions that you should ask any companies you’re considering before signing on with a kitchen renovation company are:
- Are you Registered Building Practitioners?
- Do you have the correct insurances?
- Can you show me some of your past work?
- Do you have any past clients I can speak with about their experience working with you?
- What is the warranty on the build and what does it cover?
- What is included in your price?
- Do you project manage the process?
KITCHEN RENOVATION TIP 4: STYLE AND FUNCTIONALITY TIPS
Style and functionality don’t have to be mutually exclusive. In good design, often there will be a solution that is aesthetically pleasing that is outstandingly functional too.
A few things that we always think about when planning our kitchens:
- Using drawers instead of cupboards. Heavy duty drawers are an efficient and ergonomic method of storage. We love incorporating as many as we can. They also give a streamlined, minimalistic look to kitchens for those leaning towards that style.
- Think about what technology you use in the kitchen. Ipads and TVs are commonly used while cooking and you’ll need to consider where you want them plugged in. There are many ways to hide these electricity sockets if you find them unsightly.
- There are lots of great corner solutions available to maximise the use of often neglected kitchen corner cabinets, ask your designer to show you some. They look tidy and make sure that you’re not bending over and reaching in awkward positions to access heavy pots and pans.
- Don’t forget to think about how your new kitchen will be lit. Kitchen lighting needs to be ambient and friendly for gatherings but also task oriented for when you’re cooking up a storm.
KITCHEN RENOVATION TIP 5: COLOUR YOUR KITCHEN
Our top tip here is don’t just go with what’s on trend at the moment. Colour has the ability to change the mood of the room so it’s wise to give it some thought before deciding on the latest colour of the year for your kitchen cabinets.
White and neutral coloured kitchens are always popular and bound to stand the test of time. The benefit of neutral is that you can always introduce that pop of colour using brightly coloured small appliances or kitchen furniture. When trends change, so can the highlight colours of your kitchen.
Dark coloured kitchens in black and dark timbers can be bold and impactful and can also work well if balanced out with natural light and lighter colours.
Woodgrain and timber are commonly used to introduce warmth to the kitchen and break up the neutrality. You may look at using cabinetry with a natural timber look and feel or perhaps using timber floorboards to add texture and an element of nature into your design.
If you’re looking for kitchen renovations Melbourne, contact your friend Mint designer at your most convenient kitchen showroom in Melbourne for more kitchen design tips. Burnley, Burwood, Carnegie, Moonee Ponds and Richmond.
Are you ready to renovate?
Have a chat with one of our friendly designers to discuss your project
BE INSPIRED BY OUR
Contemporary beachfront kitchen renovation in Mt Martha […]
After over 30 years in the bathroom and kitchen renovation industry, Lindsay Williams Read More…
South Yarra Kitchen Renovation Read More…